Sunday, November 23, 2008

The American Dream

My five year old asked me to watch a movie with her this morning. I decided to sit with her while sipping my coffee. Little did I know I was in for more than I bargained.

The movie? Kit Kittredge: An American Girl. This seemingly auspicious movie packed a whole lot more than a "good viewing" experience. Set in the Great Depression, Kit details the human struggle while following a normal family faced with the trials of a broken economy. Sound familiar? This movie could have easily been set in 2008.

I won't spoil the movie for you (I'd highly recommend you take time out to watch it on your own), but I wonder if we are callous to the human suffering that goes on around us today? This was new territory for those in the 20's, but those "without" seem to be more prevalent today. Hobos may have turned into homeless by today's definition, but the struggle to survive is no different than it was nearly 100 years ago.

We have "more" resources than ever before in our great country but seem to have "less" of a desire to help those in need. Didn't we learn anything the first time around?

They say that history repeats itself. I for one, hope that this time they're wrong.

No comments: