Friday, August 19, 2005

Big Day Tomorrow

Tomorrow is a big day in the life of the Goldsmith Family - we are sending our oldest child off to college. While this may seem like no biggie to those of you who have been through this process, I can assure you that our house is on "pins and needles" right now as we try and figure out what life will be like "Post-Kayla."

I knew this day would come at some point, but now that it is here, I am not sure I am quite ready for it. As I type this, it seems to sink in even further. In my brain I know that this is the next logical step in any young adults life - the chance to experience the joys and wonders of college life. I remember my "days of yore" and the exhiliration of freedom. But in my heart I feel a sense of uneasiness...is she ready? Did I prepare her enough? Did I spend as much time as I should have with her? Questions like these seem very natural. And then I realize that these questions are not really about her, but about me.

It seems that we always try to find ways to ease our minds during times like these. For some, this comes in the form of rationalizing the situation, or physically doing something, maybe even quelching the body with various foods. For others it means turning to a close friend for conversation, reinforcements, or advice. We all try to do something to make ourselves feel better. I guess for me that means typing for this blog.

As I close this entry, I just want to say this: We will miss you Kayla. We will never forget sharing those experiences as you grew up, and most of all, we will always love you. May you turn to God along your path, and may He guide you during your next stage of life. I am glad you have decided to pursue the long and difficult path of "the road not taken."

No comments: