Monday, June 19, 2006

And I Thought I Was Just Weird

I don't know about you, but I do some of my best brainstorming when I'm in the shower. I know that sounds plain weird, but some time alone away from the family in a relaxed environment does something to increase my creative flow.

I was reading an article on "50 Ways to Become a Better Designer" and it mentioned taking a shower to increase the output of your ideas. And I thought I was the only weird one! From what I can understand, your brain normally operates in "Beta" mode while you're awake and working, but when you engage in automated activities such as a shower, your brain drops two levels into the "Theta" stage, or what experts describe as this:

"A state where tasks become so automatic that you can mentally disengage from them. The ideation that can take place during the theta state is often free flow and occurs without censorship or guilt. It is typically a very positive mental state."

So the next time you find yourself in a meeting that is stagnating creatively, you might suggest that it's time to "hit the showers."

No comments: