Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Thoughts @ 3:40 AM

It's 3:40 in the morning...

I just returned home from the hospital where I had the opportunity to sit with a family as they prepare for the passing of their mother. It was a new experience for me, but one that I will not soon forget.

I have the utmost respect for nurses that help people during the final stages of their life. I talked about this a few weeks ago with a message on "Love Is Kind." During the message, I talked about my wife and her thoughts on being a nurse. I know I am biased, but I cannot think of anyone else I would want to be with me during my final stages. Not just because she's my wife, but because she is a kind-hearted and loving person who deeply cares about people. That's her way of showing God's love - by sitting, listening, and simply letting people know that they are not alone.

Love is kind...but love is also action. We show love by doing, and tonight God gave me the opportunity to share Him in those few precious moments. For that I am grateful, but I am also reminded of the temporary status of my own life. While the party will be rockin' on the other side, there is so much more love to share before it's my time.

I'll close with a question you have probably heard before, but one that deserves an honest response:

"If you walked out into your community today, would people know you follow Jesus not by what you say, but more importantly, by what you do?"



1 comment:

Mel said...

Thank you for the kind words. I hope the people I work with on a daily basis would know that I love Jesus by the way I treat them and the way I live my life. I thank God all the time for the "job" I have because to me it is much more than just a "job".
I love you and am honored to be the person you picked to spend all of your life with. I don't take it for granted anymore.