Monday, February 12, 2007

The Versus Game

I've posted quite a bit lately on how Meadow Heights Church is working through many systems and processes. I've also noticed that several key leaders of other churches have posted about similar things as well. A key thought we've ingested at the staff level is that we have to continue to replicate ourselves. In other words, work our way out of our job so that we can truly focus on leading others. Systems and processes will help us achieve that goal.

Craig Groeschel has a great post on "Don't Do It All." He's titled this as part one of a five part series. I'm anxious to see how the rest of his posts develop. This is an issue that many leaders (and I'll put myself smack dab in the middle of this one) struggle with. Many leaders I know are very driven people. That's one of the characteristics that make them a great leader. But it can also be the downfall of a great leader if their focus is in the wrong area.

Most of the time it becomes a versus. God vs. Family vs. Work. Who will win? It depends on the day, or the time, or the situation. I'm going to say something very bold - most leaders fail to put their priorities in the right place. I am one of those leaders. God has impressed upon me a great deal lately that I have to be the one to initiate change in this area of my life. Only I can't figure out how to do that very well. I'm continuing to play the versus game even when I don't want to.

I talked with someone the other day that said something I really relate with. He said this, "Even when I try to disengage from work, I find myself thinking about work. When I'm at home with my family, my mind is really back at the office." While I have overcome much of this mental battle, I can truly relate to this "versus" in my life.

I would welcome any comments from those of you who struggle or have struggled with the "versus game." Does the game ever end?

No comments: