Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Deer Hunter

I've never been a big hunter. As a matter of fact, I have only been hunting one time. A friend took me turkey hunting and here's how that played out: I trekked five mintues into the woods, sat down, looked out into a field, saw a dozen or so turkeys land, raised my gun, shot, grabbed my turkey and headed for breakfast. Total time? Less than thirty minutes. Isn't that the way all hunting trips are supposed to work?

Our small town is hung up on the hunting thing, so not wanting my son to feel "out of place" or to be made fun of at school (such a thoughtful dad, right?), I agreed to let him go hunting with a friend of mine (BIG props out to Jason Wengler for investing some time with my son!!). Little did I know that he would come back with his first deer! He was pumped (I can't say the same for my wife) and ready to eat some deer sticks and jerky.

I'm so glad Seth had this experience. It would have been easy to let my pride get in the way, for me to feign an expertise in hunting, and ultimately Seth would have been the one to suffer. I am so thankful that we have a community of friends who are willing to invest in our teenagers! We are all gifted in different ways, and big or small, we are the only ones who can choose to offer our gifts to others.

No comments: